My Grandchildren, Grandnephews and Grandnieces, The Millennials

I hope they realize that they have a far greater responsibility for their and our planet's future than I did when I was their age.  When I was their age we worried about the A-bomb and later the Population Bomb.  But neither of those bombs went off because my generation did something about it

 But they're confronted by things a lot more serious.  Thirty years from now there'll be 9.7 billion people on the planet, a much more serious problem than the population bomb that the green revolution prevented.  Do we know what is going to solve the problem of 9.7 billion people when my grandchildren are in their forties?  We don't. 

And what about global warming?  Rising sea levels inundating coastal cities.  Extreme weather battering Asia and Eastern U.S., droughts in the midwest and southwest. Millions of climate refugees migrating north.  There is no one dealing with these issues right now. 

I'll be gone soon (I'm 75), but they'll have to deal with problems far beyond anything my generation has had to deal with, and I hope they understand that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alaska Crushes Record For Hottest December

The World My Grandchildren Will Inherit